I have been doing a lot of soul-searching over the past year in regards to my personal and professional life. One thing that always draws me in making decisions is the importance of asking for help, advice, guidance and assistance from someone, a mentor, who has gone through similar experiences. It has not always been easy for me to do this and at times I become very fearful of it. But as human beings we must help each other, it’s in our nature to share our life experiences in order to get better at what we do.
Asking for advice begins when we start to understand the teaching on the subject. We are blessed with these tremendous online tools and resources that allow us to get information and advice at our fingertips. We are all dependent on each other for help and when we overcome that fear of asking, it opens doors to get us where we want to go.
Many people fail to seek out experts for advice because of various misunderstandings and excuses:
1. They think the concept of mentoring doesn’t apply to them.
2. They don’t believe it works today.
3. They’re too embarrassed to admit that they need help.
4. They’re too proud to ask for help.
5. They’re afraid to help others because their advice might not be accepted.
6. They’re too embarrassed to confess their mistakes or failures to someone else.
7. They’re so consumed with their own needs and don’t have time to sympathize or provide help for others.
8. They have problems in their own lives and doubt that can help anyone else.
9. They don’t feel worthy to be used.
10. It’s easier to send a card or email than to engage in serious help for others.
Are you allowing to be used as an agent of help? Many people are going through difficulties and need someone to listen and give them great advice. You don’t have to be a leader or senior to be used. If you’ll allow yourself to make an effort and find someone who needs your expertise, your effective advice will accomplish much.
If you’re looking for great self-help, career and business advice, Hitch+ is a community that offers mentoring with a social purpose by helping you do what you do… only better. Join us to EXPLORE, DREAM and DISCOVER.
What’s holding you up?
I am giving away 5 signed copies and 20 e-book copies of Connections That Count by Scott Olford.
Subscribe to my email newsletter and I will enter your name in a draw.
Winners will be announced June 1, 2015.
Don’t forget to drop me a note. I love to help you where I can.
Have yourself an awesome week. Make it the best ever!
“A star wants to see himself rise to the top. A leader wants to see those around him rise to the top.” – Simon Sinek